Thanks to the generosity of the Felix Scholarship Trust, one Felix Scholarship will be available to a national from a developing country with a first class undergraduate degree to pursue a Taught Masters programme for entry in September 2017.
Application Deadline: 17:00 (UK local time) on 31st January 2017.
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Developing countries
To be taken at (country): The University of London School of African Studies (SOAS), UK
About the Award: This scholarship is aimed primarily at candidates who are nationals of Sub-Saharan African countries living in their country of origin.
- Any SOAS taught masters programme.
- Part-time programmes are not eligible.
- Candidates must be nationals of a developing country and not currently be living or studying outside of their country. This scholarship is aimed primarily at candidates who are nationals of a Sub-Saharan African Country living in their Sub-Saharan African country of origin.
- Candidates must not have previously studied for one year or more outside of their country.
- Candidates must have a first class Bachelor’s degree from a University or comparable institution.
- Candidates who already hold a Master’s degree cannot apply for a Master’s degree scholarship.
- Candidates must demonstrate financial need.
- Graduates are expected to return to work in their home country.
- Candidates must have submitted a complete application for admission by the scholarship closing date of 31 January 2017.
- Candidates must have an offer of admission by the time shortlisting takes place in early March 2017.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2017. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by an Advisory Panel, consisting of three academic members. Financial need is also relevant.
- The assessment of your application will be based on the information provided in your scholarship application and in your on-line admission application for admission. Selectors will be looking at the degree results and also at academic references, statement and other relevant information.
- Only those who have been accepted for admission will be considered for short listing by the SOAS Selection Panel. Shortlisting at SOAS will take place in March 2017
Number of Awardees: 1
Value of Scholarship: The Felix scholarship covers the full cost of tuition fees; living costs (£15,254 in 2016-17) and a return air fare.
Duration of Scholarship: Duration of programme
How to Apply:
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- You must submit a complete online application to your programme as soon as possible and then submit an electronic application for the scholarship. Applicants applying for scholarships must also submit an application for admission well in advance. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV, and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your online application for admission. Please note that complete application for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
You must follow two steps:
Step 1: Apply for your programme
Applicants must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission. You can use this on-line link to apply for for a Master’s degree. Applicants must have submitted a complete admission to a Master’s programme at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline, 31 January 2017. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degree obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV, and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your online application for admission. Please note that complete application for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
Step 2: Apply for the scholarship
You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line scholarship application form available here. Please submit no later than 17:00 (UK local time) on 31 January 2017.
Award Provider: The donor for the Felix Scholarship wishes to remain anonymous. The administration of the Scholarship is conducted by the three partner universities (SOAS University of London, University of Oxford and University of Reading), with the support of the Felix Trustees and their agents in London.
Important Notes: Successful candidates will be notified by end of June. If you have not heard from us by the end of June, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful